It looks innocent enough...


We have overnight guests fairly frequently and, well, I felt reeeeeeaaaaallllllly guilty making them sleep on our resident torture device, i.e., hide-a-bed. I thought that if I bought one *brand new* that it would be better. But no. There is little or no hope for this sleeping contraption. The only real solution is to put the thin mattress on the floor and fold the thing up and act like it never pulled out in the first place. I just wanted to have a guest bed but didn't want the space that it would require. So after about six months of looking at options, my husband and I decided to do this!!

Off to Lowes to buy our supplies. This could very well be the most expensive murphy bed if we don't use the new air compressor after this project. I digress...


Here's the wood. The guys at Lowes were looking at me funny as I snapped a picture with my phone. Yeah, leave it to a girl to document this part. Oh well. We took all the seats out of our mini van and the big ol' sheet of MDF slid in there like it was custom made for a wood haul. {sigh - love my Odyssey}

That night hubby made the first cut (of several... some not right... but, hey, this is our first major build!!)



Did I mention that we were new at this kind of thing?? Because we discovered why it was a good idea to keep the garage door open while cutting MDF after this failed attempt at a picture...


Yes, that's dust flying everywhere - not a dirty lens. Well, it's dirty NOW! 

And I'll end this post with a ...to be continued...

2 comments:

Scrapper-Wannabe said...

It is so strange to see a picture of Kurt using a saw. It looks good on him. :o) I hope this turns out well for y'all.
Your couch/bed wasn't that bad, but I'll be happy to try out the new one....

Kurt Settles said...

Alas, I can use a chop saw, a circular saw, a jigsaw, and a hand saw with a minimal amount of fear, but that table saw still causes me a great deal of concern. I did use it for this, but thankfully it had a limited application.